Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Big City Lights

Living in a Big city has its ups and downs just like living anywhere else, but the one thing that never gets old here for me are the beautiful lights of  Las Vegas.

The "Ups: ...

The Lights!! My husband and I still love to take a drive at night down the famous Las Vegas Strip and I always feel like a tourist with my head cocked up to the sky looking around at all the flashing lights, with my window down listening to the fountains at the Bellagio or the crazy music coming from the bars, this never gets old. 

The amazing food!! Everywhere you go there is an All You Can Eat Buffet, which can also be bad due to the amount of food consumed there.  We have found a great little Italian sandwich place called Cappriottis that has the best cooked to order sandwiches. My favorite is called the "Bobbie", a great little mix of cold turkey, stuffing and cranberry sauce, all on a whole wheat bread. YUMMO!! There is also pizza, sushi, Thai food, authentic Mexican, Asian, fast food of all kinds, and exquisite sit down restaurants that can cost you a little or a whole lot!

The Weather!! Now, I know I really shouldn't brag about this one too much, and I promise I won't, just for all my friends in the mid west.  But, come on, to not have to wear the heaviest coat, gloves, hat and scarf you own in the middle of January, that is something to be really happy about!!  So, that is all I will say there!!

The "Downs" ...

The Prices!! Where there are several amazing discount shopping malls around and some great free things to do for fun, the cost of living is way different than that of the mid west.  Rent is higher. Gas is higher.  Some food is higher.  Going to the movies is higher.  And most, if not all, locals do not do "touristy" things in town.

The People!!  I hate to say it, but the people here are most different than anything else to me.  People stick to themselves for the most part, are not too friendly and are very hard to make friends with for that matter.  In the short amount of time we have lived here, I have 1 person that I hang out with regularly.  The city is full of tourist and that is what keeps our city hoppin!!

The Driving!! Oh yes, lets not get me started on that one!! hahaha!!!! I do not ever, in any circumstance take the freeway here.  I will avoid it all costs and take a longer alternate route if needed.  I know I sound crazy, but after witnessing 2 cars race coming onto the freeway and spin out across 6 lanes of traffic to the other side (unharmed thank goodness)  my first week here, I just don't do it!! However, I do love driving here.  I have learned to be the patient driver as everyone is always in a hurry, not using their turn signals and cutting you off if they can, so I suppose that is a good thing since I learned to not have so much road rage. hahaha

There are many many other Ups and Downs of living here, but these are just a few I think of on a regular basis.  Living in a big city has been the most drastic, hard and wonderful transition I have ever made.  Las Vegas may not be the choice of many people, but for us, it is where we were led to come and have each and every need met daily as we continue to put God first and let our Light shine no matter how hard life in this so called "Sin City" can be.

4 comments:

  1. welcome to blogger!! i hope you enjoy it i know i do!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hurray for a shiny blog! : ) Great theme. I'm looking forward to more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you ladies!! I hope to write a few times a week and hope you enjoy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that last line. It's always so inspiring to me when a person loves where they live - really loves it, good and bad. I'll look forward to reading more too!

    ReplyDelete