Thursday, March 10, 2011

Having Patience in Apartment living

Today I realized it has been a while since my last entry and as I sat here thinking of what to write, there are MANY things going on outside my lovely apartment.  Therefore, I thought I would share with all of you the patience one must have daily while living in an apartment complex. 

First, you must know that I absolutely LOVE the apartments we live in.  There are 2 pools, one of which is heated and has a beautiful rock formation with waterfall and palm trees all around it, making you feel as though you have left the US and are vacationing somewhere fabulous.  The other Pool, where I tend to spend most sunny mornings getting a little sun, is quiet, peaceful and extremely relaxing.  Both pools have a hot tub, which I have not taken advantage of yet.  There is a walking path at the back of the complex, it is a gated community and no one living inside has a criminal record, I know this because I was checked before they allowed us to move in and for this I am very grateful.  These apartments are safe and when living in a big city like we do, safety is always a good thing.

On to my point of writing today.  Like I said, there are MANY things going on outside.  My windows are open since we are having amazing weather lately and with the windows open, you hear EVERYTHING and smell everything!  Here is what I generally hear and smell on a daily basis.

Hearing: 

1. Kids playing in the street, something that I love.  The sound of their little scooters racing down the sidewalks, the balls bouncing as they play four square and the laughter as they have fun just being kids.  

2. Our new neighbors most annoying dog barking constantly.  This is something I dislike very much.  The people who use to live there had a little barking dog, and now the new people do to.  He is a VERY cute puppy, looks like a baby Ewok, but really, do they have to let him on to the balcony and just bark non stop without even trying to stop him? Then you add the 2 year old child they have, who mimics the dog, it was cute at first, now not so much.  Makes me think about how every person is different in training, both animals and their children.

3.  Golf Carts.  The amazing maintenance staff here all drive golf carts.  They have a very distinct sound.  Its not something that bothers me, its peaceful.  It is also nice knowing if I needed something, they are right there to help with whatever it is, changing a light bulb, fixing the garbage disposal, changing the air filters, our maintenance staff is amazing and for that I am very grateful.

4.  Airplanes. Depending on the weather and the wind, the airplanes fly literally over my house sometimes.  At first this kind of freaked me out, now it has become a relaxing background noise to life. 

5.  And lastly for today, one of my most favorite sounds I hear in the evening, the Ice cream Truck.  Do you know how long it has been since I have heard the sweet kid like music from an ice cream truck? It comes by just the outside of my apartment where the school baseball field is in the early evenings and each time I find myself with a smile as I remember the joy of eating ice cream as a child from these wonderful trucks!!

As far as the smell, there is only one thing.  I never smell the garbage bins that are just across from us and I never smell jet fuel as they fly too high for that.  The only thing I ever smell is the disgusting stench of cigarette smoke.  Living in an apartment, you don't get the best sealing for your windows, so even with the windows shut, the smoke seems to work its way into my home.  The worst of it is when the people behind us smoke in their home and the stench comes into my bedroom making it smell as if we were the ones smoking, which we are most definitely not!! 

Apartment living has its ups and downs just like any other thing.  I for one have learned to have more patience with people living here and hearing unwanted noises than living in a house where you feel all alone inside.  Here, there is always something going on and whether you want to be a part of it or not, sometimes you just have to be patient and live with it knowing life is just too short to get your feathers all ruffled up over something as silly as a dog barking constantly, so I say it is better to sit on my porch and enjoy a good book, and yes, with that dog barking in the background.

No comments:

Post a Comment